ABOUT THE NEWMARKET BUSINESS ASSOCIATION (NBA)
The Newmarket Business Association (NBA) was first incorporated in 1937. Although our look and feel has evolved over the years, our primary focus is still much the same. In the technical sense we are a Business Improvement District (BID) and represent around 3,100 members and landlords who reside within our BID boundary. The boundary is loosely Alpers Ave to the south, top of Remuera Road to the east, Parnell Road to the north and Park Road up Khyber Pass Road to the west – and everything in between. We are funded by a small levy on the business rates based on the capital value of the buildings that are within this boundary.
We are a small team of 8 people or 5.5 FTEs. Our functions cover marketing, member, arts & heritage, operations, advocacy and strategy. In simple terms we are the chief champions of all things Newmarket. We enable activities that promote the economic development of the area, assist with the attraction and retention of new business and act as the voice of Newmarket.
QUICK NEWMARKET FACTS
• Newmarket train station is the second busiest in Auckland, after Britomart, which can cater for up to 17,000 passengers a day, this is set to increase as the City Rail Link reaches completion.
• Hundreds of buses pass through the precinct every day, including the popular inner and outer Link buses. There is also a dedicated bus corridor linking the central city to Newmarket, via the university and hospital.
• On and off ramp access to the Southern Motorway.
• University of Auckland have a post-graduate engineering campus on Khyber Pass Road.
• Premium NZ designers have a retail presence in Newmarket.
• The precinct boasts 13 public car parks, 2 movie cinema complexes, over 400 retail stores, over 120 restaurants/ cafes and bars, a major shopping mall and the best strip shopping in New Zealand.
•Westfield Newmarket, completed in 2019, has set a new benchmark as a world-class retail and lifestyle destination for
New Zealanders. Westfield Newmarket is home to Auckland’s first David Jones department store and showcases a compelling mix of local and international fashion designers, new-to-market brands as well as some of the most well- known fashion brands from New Zealand and Australia. Westfield also has more than 230 specialty stores.
• A rooftop lifestyle, dining and entertainment precinct with a new state-of-the-art Event Cinemas complex, encompasses some of the country’s finest food and beverage experiences in a vibrant outdoor environment, providing Newmarket’s local community and the wider Auckland population with an exceptional leisure experience.
• From 2021 luxury retail and high-end boutique brands will start to open.
• Head offices here include: Lotto, Watercare, BP, 2degrees, Vector, Heartland Bank, Mercury, Fidelity Life, Westfield NZ, Metlifecare, flexigroup, Vend, Tonkin + Taylor, Fuji Xerox, Roche, Tegel NZ, Cerebos Gregg’s and Arnott’s to name a few
• Brands such as Witchery, Country Road, Stolen Girlfriends Club, Adidas, Huffer, Glassons, Bendon, have all chosen Newmarket for their flagship stores
• There are over 1900 business locations in Newmarket. Of Newmarket businesses 50% are professional or technical, 30% retail, 10% hospitality and 10% financial and insurance.
• 94% of the Newmarket population have a formal qualification compared with 83% for the rest of Auckland.
HOW THE NBA CAN ASSIST YOU
BUSINESS SUPPORT AND SERVICES
Being a member of the NBA entitles you to a raft of services from security and advocacy through to networking opportunities. You can contact the NBA and have a chat. We’ll be happy to help.
We have an open CEO session every Tuesday from 2pm to 4pm at the NBA office level 2, 238 Broadway and FREE coffee is on hand. This is an excellent opportunity to touch base with the team and discuss any ideas or issues you may have.
The NBA acts as an interface between members and regional authorities. This can mean approaching these bodies on behalf of groups of businesses and making submissions on local proposals and local government policy.
MEMBER TRAINING WORKSHOPS + WEBINARS
Throughout the year multiple workshops + webinars are held for our members that are a valuable educational tool for managers, owners and staff. We engage with experts in their fields to provide relevant workshops + webinars with topics of interest. Topics covered include customer service, social media and retail specific sessions.
The NBA hosts the annual Newmarket Business Awards which recognise excellence in a range of categories, including the Supreme Winner Award for Business of the Year. This is the largest member event on the calendar of the year. The winners are announced at a black tie Awards dinner in June with over 400 influential business people and media attending.
INFORMATION AND RESEARCH
The NBA is the best place to get information on local council projects, pending developments, and generally on what’s happening in our area. The NBA also has statistics such as pedestrian counts, consumer spending, and public information on property owners and tenants. Should you require any further information on any of the above or if you have some great ideas to share with us, please do not hesitate to contact the team.
NEWMARKET SECURITY / CRIME PREVENTION The NBA funds a comprehensive CCTV network of 18 cameras which are hosted at the local Police Station and monitored by the NBA. Newmarket’s precinct patrol security is PLATFORM 4 GROUP (P4G). To request security assistance call 022 361 9514 or email newmarketBA@platform4. co.nz. Hours of operation are 10am-6pm, 7 days a week.
STOREWATCH Storewatch was established by Newmarket Police several years ago. Essentially it is a network of retailers who share intel about thieves in Newmarket as well as alerts from other precincts. It is managed by Emma from Snow Centre. If you would like to learn more email Emma directly – Business@ snowcentre.co.nz
NEWMARKET CHARTER We have a Newmarket-wide trespass notice. People who receive this are essentially banned from setting foot into any Newmarket retail, hospitality, entertainment business for a period of 2 years. There are some rules around how these notices are issued. To receive a copy of the notice and more details please email email@example.com
RUBBISH COLLECTION – COMMERCIAL PREMISES Please call Auckland Council (09 301 0101) to confirm that your property qualifies for a free wheelie bin collection. Both rubbish (red lid bin) and recycling (blue lid bin) are collected early Thursday morning and need to be out by 7am. We recommend bins are out the night prior (Wednesday evening). Please make sure you bin is removed promptly from the street after collection or Council may remove them permanently from the street.
GRAFFITI REMOVAL SERVICE
The NBA funds a very effective graffiti management service through Graffiti Solutions. This means that graffiti is dealt with as soon as it is identified, often before it is seen by the public. This is a free service as part of your membership. Graffiti Solutions also visit Newmarket three times a week to check for any vandalism.
EVENTS ADVISORY SERVICE
The NBA can provide advice for members in dealing with council. Have you ever wondered how to get your event permit from the council? Do you want to take over some public parking outside your retail outlet? How does liquor licensing work when you hold drinks in-store? Can we have an event on the pavement or distribute flyers for an upcoming sale? We can put you in touch with the right people.