Friday 15th June 2018 – Auckland New Zealand
Hundreds gathered at the Cordis last night for the annual Newmarket Business Awards, hosted by the Newmarket Business Association (NBA), with major sponsors Bayley’s and Q Mastercard.
Chinese New Zealand Herald took out the ‘Best Medium/ Large Business of the Year’ award, newcomer Palazzo Italia, was awarded the coveted ‘Best Bar / Restaurant of the Year’ a title previously held by Burger Burger for three years running. The latter didn’t go without recognition, however, with Burger Burger being recognised for the ‘Best use of Social Media’.
The sought after ‘NZ Retailer of the Year’ was won by Superette, with Glamour Boutique taking home the ‘People’s Choice’ award for the third year in a row. First time entrant to the awards Glassons, took home the gong for ‘Best International Retailer’.
This year’s independent judging panel included Andy Hamilton (Icehouse), Anne Norman (James Pascoe Group), Anthony Hoy Fong (Chef), Michael Barnett (Auckland Chamber of Commerce), Michelle Vogt (Mint Consulting), Sarah Dunn (NZ Retail), Stewart Sherriff (2degrees), Wendy Thompson (Socialites), Wynnis Armour (Armour Consulting) and Newmarket Rotary. Sponsor judges included Rachel Dovey from Bayleys, and Tim McFarlane from Q Mastercard. The guest speaker for this year was none other than scientist and innovator Dr Michelle Dickinson, aka Nanogirl.
NBA’s CEO, Mark Knoff-Thomas says it’s a great feeling being able to recognise and acknowledge businesses in the precinct that are thriving.
“Every year these awards provide us with the opportunity to celebrate the best in Newmarket business and reflect on some of the amazing things we have on offer. 2018 was our biggest year yet with just under 100 entries and over 390 attendees who celebrated in typical Newmarket style.”
The Newmarket Business Award Winners for 2018:
- Best Café of the Year–sponsored by Newmarket Business Association: L’affare Melrose
- Best Bar/ Restaurant of the Year–sponsored by ParkMate: Palazzo Italia
- Retailer of the Year–sponsored by Hayes Knight:Superette
- International Retailer of the Year– sponsored by Westfield Newmarket: Glassons Newmarket
- Best Innovation of the Year–sponsored by Vector:Wine Cave New Zealand
- Employer of the Year– sponsored by ANZ:Alpha Recruitment
- Best Customer Experience–sponsored by Recognise & Reward: Gates Eyewear
- Best Small/ Medium Business of the Year–sponsored by 2degrees:Tech Futures Lab
- Best Medium/ Large Business of the Year–sponsored by Multi-Media Systems:Chinese New Zealand Herald
- Young Business Person of the Year–sponsored by Rotary Newmarket:Alisha Tomlinson – Nuffield Street Café, Bar & Bistro
- Best Use of Social Media–sponsored by ellen&company:Burger Burger
- Most Sustainable Business of the Year–sponsored by Chow: Hill Architects Limited: LUSH Cosmetics
- Newmarket People’s Choice Award 2018:Glamour Boutique
- Newmarket Supreme Winner Award for 2018:Alpha Recruitment
About the Newmarket Business Association
The Newmarket Business Association was incorporated in 1937. It is one of the largest business associations of its type in New Zealand. The association delivers strategies to promote the precinct and advocates on behalf of all the business sectors within the defined boundary.
For more information please contact: