One of Osborne Lane’s hidden gems, The Candy Shop is well known for its selection of indulgent treats. Amongst them, is their delectable carrot cake.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 500g carrots (ends trimmed and peeled) 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 50g cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sour cream, light or regular
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- Chopped walnuts (to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position. 2. Lightly grease and flour two 20cm round baking pans. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt.
4. In a food processor fitted with large or fine shredding disk (or using a box grater and shredding by hand), shred the carrots for about 3 cups total.
5. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in large bowl using a hand-held mixer or by hand with a whisk), beat the granulated sugar, brown sugar, and eggs on medium-high speed until thoroughly combined, about 45 seconds.
6. Reduce the speed to medium and with the mixer running, add oil in a slow, steady stream, being careful to pour oil against the inside of the bowl.
7. Increase the speed to high and mix until the batter is light in colour and well emulsified, about 45 seconds to 1 minute longer.
8. Stir in carrots and dry ingredients by hand until incorporated and no streaks of flour remain.
9. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake until a toothpick or skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean (about 30 minutes).
10. Let the cakes cool for about 10 minutes in the pan and then invert them onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
11. For the frosting, mix the cream cheese, butter, sour cream, walnuts and vanilla at medium high speed in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl using handheld mixer) until well combined, about 30 seconds, scraping down the bowl with rubber spatula as needed.
12. Add the powdered sugar and mix until very fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
13. Frost the cake and enjoy!