These light pillows of potato gnocchi smothered in a tasty spinach and parmesan sauce make the ultimate winter comfort meal.
- 400g potato, uncooked
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 tsp salt
- 80g flour
- Olive oil
- 25g butter
- 25g flour
- 10g garlic
- 460ml milk
- 100g grated parmesan cheese (plus a little extra for garnish)
- 50g spinach
- 1 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 180°c. Cut potatoes in half and roast them for 25–30 minutes.
2. Peel the potatoes and pass through a potato ricer or press through a sieve. The potatoes should be smooth.
3. Add egg and salt, lightly mix. Then add flour and knead by hand until all the flour is fully incorporated. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour.
4. Roll out the dough into a log, 3-4cm thick, and cut into bite-size pieces.
5. Boil a large pot of salted water and cook the gnocchi until it floats, 2-3 minutes.
6. Remove the gnocchi from the water and place in a bowl full of iced water.
7. Drain the ice water, drizzle with olive oil and set aside or refrigerate until ready to serve.
1. Melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
2. Add flour to butter and whisk until combined.
3. Slowly add milk, whisking constantly to break up any lumps. Cook for 4-5 minutes until sauce has just begun to thicken.
4. Add parmesan cheese and whisk until fully combined, finally add the spinach and salt and cook for a further minute.
5. Blitz sauce with hand blender/food processor until blended well.
1. Heat olive oil, add gnocchi and sauté lightly.
2. Add fresh spinach, followed by the spinach sauce, and cook until gnocchi and sauce are cooked through.
3. Garnish with fresh parmesan cheese.
Nuffield Bar & Kitchen | 23/27 Nuffield Street | nuffieldbar.co.nz