Straight from Nonna’s Italian kitchen, this cannoli recipe delivers a crisp and flaky shell filled with an irresistibly creamy ricotta filling.
1 1⁄2 cup flour
1⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon 2 tsp cocoa powder
3 Tbsp caster sugar
1⁄2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp chilled and cubed butter 4 Tbsp lemon juice
4 Tbsp white/marsala wine
500g strained ricotta
3⁄4 cup caster sugar
1⁄2 cup small chocolate chips 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
6 oz dark chocolate, chopped
1. Mix together flour, cinnamon, cocoa powder, sugar and salt.
2. Add butter and rub with dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. 3. Pour in lemon juice and wine, kneading until smooth.
4. Wrap with a sheet of plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
1. Strain ricotta for at least one hour through a cheesecloth.
2. Stir together ricotta, mascarpone, sugar, chocolate, vanilla extract and lemon zest.
3. Spoon the mixture into a pastry bag with 1⁄2 inch cut in the top and refrigerate until ready to serve.
ROLL AND FRY THE SHELLS
1. In a medium pot, heat the oil to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Meanwhile, sift an even layer of flour on a flat surface and on a rolling pin.
3. Roll the dough thin, approx. 1/3 inch and cut rounds approx. 3-4 inches in diameter. 4. Wrap each dough circle around a cannoli stick, or find something small and round in the kitchen that will replicate this.
5. Use a small amount of the egg wash on the edge of each round to seal the dough shut.
6. Submerge and fry the shell in the oil until golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes.
FILL THE CANNOLI
Use a pastry bag to pipe the ricotta into the cooled cannoli shells, filling from both ends. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.
10-12 Teed Street | Nonna.nz