Auckland Grammar School was established in 1869 – fulfilling the vision of Governor Sir George Grey to set up and maintain a grammar school in Auckland that was to be “for the education of all New Zealanders”. Some 146 years later the School remains one of New Zealand’s leading secondary schools, with a reputation for all-round excellence in academic, sporting and cultural pursuits and a strong sense of tradition, pride and confidence.
Providing an education for young men from Form 3 to Form 7 (Years 9–13), the School offers an academic programme based on both national and international syllabi, catering for a range of students from diverse backgrounds, socio-economic groups and ethnicities.
Auckland Grammar School sets its standards very high, demanding excellence across all aspects of daily life. While providing young men with a rigorous academic education, each young man in turn is expected to pursue excellence in acquiring knowledge and skills while embracing the School’s values. Commonly known as “The Grammar Way”, the core values of integrity, excellence, respect, courage, pride, commitment and humility are central to the School’s position of pre-eminence in boys’ secondary education. Through teaching and practising these values, we hope to develop in our students valuable personal qualities such as self-discipline, resourcefulness, adaptability, creativity, honesty, courtesy, self-reliance, healthy self-esteem, pride in personal appearance and public spirit, with the aim of using these virtues for the good of the School and the community.
The Auckland Grammar School campus is located on Mountain Road and has several buildings catering for the education of around 2,500 students, including a newly opened 12 classroom block and a near 100-year-old historic Main Building, built in the Spanish Mission style and listed with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust. The School campus includes a purpose-built two basketball court gymnasium; a 360-seat performance theatre, an all-weather hockey turf, an outdoor heated swimming pool and six well maintained sports fields catering for the wide variety of sporting codes.
The School also boasts a fantastic boarding hostel, Tibbs House, located on the corner of Mountain and Clive Roads. Tibbs House was established in 1962 and catered for 46 young men providing an opportunity for boys outside of the greater Auckland area to attend Auckland Grammar School. Tibbs House was named after the fourth Headmaster of Auckland Grammar School, Mr J W Tibbs MA, CMG, who was Headmaster from 1893 to 1922. A statue of Mr Tibbs can be found at the entrance to Old Tibbs House. The hostel now caters for 113 young men from Forms 3 – 7 (years 9-13).
Auckland Grammar School is a proud member of the Newmarket community and greatly appreciates the significant support that the individuals and businesses of Newmarket affords the School.