A South American twist on a classic arancini ball, these flavour packed morsels are perfect as an appetizer or served with a fresh salad.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1kg andouille sausage, cooked & diced
- 100g okra, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 red chilli, diced
- 300g chopped/tinned tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1kg risotto rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling chicken stock
- 100g green peas
- 20g coriander, chopped
- 10g old bay seasoning
- 20g gumbo file
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shaved parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- Fine polenta
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook, stirring until onion is soft but not browned. Add other diced ingredients.
2. Pour in the rice and cook stirring for 2 minutes, then stir in the wine, and continue cooking and stirring until the liquid has evaporated. Add chicken stock to the rice 1/3 cup at a time, stirring and cooking until the liquid has evaporated before adding more.
3. When all of the chicken stock has been added and the liquid has evaporated, stir in the peas, coriander, old bay seasoning and gumbo file. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and stir in the parmesan cheese. Transfer the risotto to a bowl and allow to cool slightly.
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining egg and milk with a fork. For each ball, roll 2 tablespoons of the risotto into a ball.
5. Using egg wash & fine polenta coat each ball and set aside.
6. Half fill a large saucepan with vegetable oil and heat. Lower the
balls into the oil in small batches and cook until golden brown, approximately 6-8 minutes.
7. Season and serve.