The Newmarket Business Association has great pleasure in inviting you to take part in the 2017 Newmarket Business Awards, brought to you by Bayleys and Continental Cars. Now into its sixth year, we are once again anticipating some impressive and carefully thought-out entries. The Awards are about business excellence and aim to recognise and celebrate businesses that have maximised their potential and have mastered the art of delivering excellent products and services. There are two great reasons to get involved:
To give your business a ‘tune up’ and get a ‘warrant of fitness’
The process that you go through, in preparing your entry, will provide a fantastic opportunity to focus your thinking and help you to reassess your business goals and the feedback from our expert judges will be an invaluable guide to the future, regardless of the outcome of your entry.
To win a category
The kudos and marketing leverage gained from winning – or even placing as a finalist – has huge value and can be used to set you apart from your competition.
There are thirteen categories in 2017. You may enter three categories that are relevant to your business from one to eleven. Twelve is decided by public vote and thirteen is selected by the judges.
- Employer of the Year (all sectors) – Sponsored by ANZ
- Retailer of the Year (NZ only) – Sponsored by Hayes Knight
- International Retailer of the Year (NZ and overseas) – Sponsored by Westfield Newmarket
- Best Innovation of the Year – Sponsored by Vector
- Best Customer Experience (all sectors) – Sponsored by Recognise & Reward
- Bar / Restaurant of the Year (night time focus)
- Cafe of the Year (day focus) – Sponsored by Countdown
- Best Small / Medium Business of the Year (non-retail) – Sponsored by 2degrees Mobile Limited
- Best Medium / Large Business of the Year (non-retail) – Sponsored by Multi-Media
- Young Business Person of the Year – Judged and sponsored by Rotary Newmarket
- Most Sustainable Business of the Year – Sponsored by SBM Legal
- People’s Choice (Best Newmarket Business and this Award is based on public vote) – Sponsored by Newmarket Business Association
- Supreme Winner Award (judges choice*) – Sponsored by Bayleys and Continental Cars
*This Award will be made solely by the judging panel and cannot be ‘entered’ as a category.
Entries need to be completed online by 4pm on Friday 28 April and we will notify Finalists the week commencing 22 May. The Awards evening will be held at the Langham, Thursday 22 June, 2017.
To start your entry, please go to newmarket.awardsplatform.com
I encourage you to get involved and wish you all the very best with your entry.
Chief Executive, Newmarket Business Association
There are eleven categories for members to enter in 2017. You may enter three categories relevant to your business from one to eleven. Twelve is decided by public vote and thirteen is selected by the judges.
1. Employer of the Year (All sectors) – Sponsored by ANZ
This award recognises businesses that have achieved excellence in their employment value proposition and have positioned themselves as a place of choice for employees.
2. Retailer of the Year (NZ only) – Sponsored by Hayes Knight
This award recognises the successes and achievements of a NZ retailer selling products direct to the end user.
3. International Retailer of the Year (NZ and overseas) – Sponsored by Westfield
This award recognises the successes and achievements of a NZ or international retailer selling products direct to the end user in NZ and off-shore.
4. Best Innovation of the Year – Sponsored by Vector
This award recognises a business that is thinking differently about what is required to compete in the future. A business that has enhanced its success through innovation – both in thinking and implementing the idea. An innovation can be in a product/service/technology or process.
5. Best Customer Experience (All sectors) – Sponsored by Recognise & Reward
This award recognises businesses that show outstanding and consistent dedication to the customer experience.
6. Bar / Restaurant of the Year (Night time focus)
This award recognises excellence in contribution to Newmarket’s night time economy.
7. Café of the Year (Day focus) – Sponsored by Countdown
This award recognises excellence in contribution to Newmarket’s burgeoning café culture.
8. Best Small / Medium Business of the Year (non-retail) – Sponsored by 2degrees Mobile Limited
This award recognises excellence for the best/small to medium non-retail business. Small/medium business is defined as less than 20 full time employees.
9. Best Medium / Large Business of the Year (non-retail) – Sponsored by Multi-Media
This award recognises excellence for the best medium/large non-retail business. Medium/large business is defined as more than 20 full time employees.
10. Young Business Person of the Year – Sponsored and judged by Rotary Newmarket
This award recognises excellence in an up and coming young business person who has achieved excellence in his or her given sector, under the age of 35, in Newmarket. This award is judged by Newmarket Rotary. The finalists are required to meet with a panel from Rotary between the 9th -22nd May. The winner will also address Rotary at one of their lunch meetings during 2016, date to be decided.
11. Most Sustainable Business – Sponsored by SBM Legal
This award recognises the business which optimises sustainable practices throughout its operations, whilst respecting local cultures and benefiting the local community and the globe.
12. People’s Choice – Sponsored by Newmarket Business Association (Best Newmarket Business and this Award is based on public feedback)
This award recognises the most popular business, in Newmarket, as measured by customer feedback.
13. Supreme Winner Award – Sponsored by Bayleys and Continental Cars (judges choice*)
This award recognises outstanding leadership and business success. The business which wins will have achieved positive financial results, increased shareholder value, sound management, and accountability, together with intangible qualities such as integrity and vision.
These guidelines are to help you with your entry. The process has been designed to be as simple as possible. It should not be onerous or time consuming for you.
The entry process has some added benefits, including the opportunity to:
- give some dedicated focus to your business and to get to grips with your current market position
- uncover your core strengths and how you are placed against your competition
- reflect on your achievements over the past year
- bolster company culture by acknowledging your successes
- motivate and inspire yourself and others within your organisation
How the Judging works
We have approached a group of pre-eminent business leaders, local and from around New Zealand, who have kindly agreed to donate their time to judge the entries. The Judges work independently of each other and, thanks to new technology introduced this year with our online awards platform, are able to judge the entries from almost anywhere in the world!
Finalists for Retailer of the Year, International Retailer of the Year, Best Customer Experience, Best Bar/Restaurant and Best Cafe of the Year will also be marked out of 20 by a mystery shopper. The mystery shopper may use a variety of methods, including visits to businesses, phone calls, email inquiries and web-based inquiries. Points scored by the mystery shopper will be added to each finalists score to get the category winner.
Below is an outline of what we recommend your entry focuses on:
An outline of your business focus, identifying areas you wish to highlight about your business in your entry and any other information that you feel may be relevant. Also note the reason why you have entered your particular award category/ ies.
Standing out from the crowd
- What is your USP (Unique Selling Point)?
- Evidence of positive outcomes or competitive advantages gained from your USP, and how this links to improved performance
- Innovation within product range and development
- Unique marketing/ events and /or branding strategies
- Unique market position/ market share
- The guiding principles of your organisation and your values – and how you include key stakeholders (including staff, suppliers and customers).
The DNA of your business
- Objectives achieved in the past 12 months
- Awards achieved or won
- New successful initiatives that have been employed
- Organisational policies – internal and/or external benefits
- Examples of ways the business community or the community in general may benefit from your business
- Sponsorships and involvement with philanthropic initiatives
- Branding/marketing behaviour that reinforces positive social values
- Involvement in a local business organisation or industry group
- How your business adapts to change
- Product integrity
- How innovation and technology is applied
- Approach to sustainability in our environment – environment, financial, and social sustainability
- Ethical and responsible business practices
- Any business of any size located within the boundaries of the Newmarket precinct is eligible to enter the awards as is a current associate member.
- Your business must have been trading for a substantial part of the 2016/2017 financial year.
- If your organisation is part of a larger organisation you must be able to demonstrate that you function as a separate business unit.
- Newmarket Business Association places high value on the awards. Entrants must disclose any issues that may compromise the integrity of the awards or cause the business to discontinue in the next year. These issues may include legal action, law changes, possible loss of funding, or other risks.
- If chosen as a finalist you will be asked to submit a letter signed by your company accountant to verify your business is financially sound.
- Each business may enter three categories for which they qualify but must submit an entry for each category; however similar content may be used in each entry.
- All entries must be completed online by Friday 28 April 4pm.
- Some sections are limited to a maximum word count and, where applicable, these must be adhered to.
- If chosen as a finalist we will require a high res image of your business and a logo.
- If you are chosen as a finalist you are expected to have a representative present at the Awards Evening held at the Langham , Thursday 22 June.
- Entrants (except if you are only entering People’s Choice) are eligible to purchase a table of ten at 25% of the normal rate. Less than a table of ten will not receive a discount.
- Sponsors are not able to enter their named category and judges are NOT eligible to enter.
What does it cost to enter?
There is no cost to enter the 2017 Newmarket Business Excellence Awards; however a representative of each finalist will be expected to attend the awards ceremony on 22 June 2017 at the Langham, at their own cost. As an entrant you are eligible to purchase a table of ten at 25% of the normal rate. Less than a table of ten will not receive a discount.
How long will it take me to enter?
This depends on how easy it is for you to gather the information for your entry. The best entries are usually succinct. As a rule of thumb if you’re spending longer than 4 hours on your entry you’re probably going into too much detail.
How long or detailed should my entry be?
All sections are limited to a maximum word count and, where applicable, these must be adhered to. In all other cases, the amount of detail provided is at your discretion.
How many categories can I enter?
You can enter three categories, for which you qualify, as you wish – but each entry must be submitted separately with its own copy of your business profile.
How do I know that the information I provide won’t get into the hands of my competitors or others?
All entries are absolutely confidential and are only seen by a designated NBA staff member and the judges. All of the people in these roles are ethical professionals and have signed a non-disclosure agreement.
How do I know which judges will read my entry?
The names of the judges for each category are confidential. You can know the names of all the judges but not the individual ones who will be judging the specific categories you enter.
How is my entry judged?
- All entries are judged in the individual category criteria. See the ‘Award Categories’ for more information
- The finalists’ entries are read and considered by judges independently
- Finalists for Retailer of the Year, International Retailer of the Year, Best Customer Experience, Best Bar / Restaurant and Best Cafe of the Year will also be marked out of 20 by a mystery shopper. The mystery shopper may use a variety of methods, including visits to businesses, phone calls, email enquiries and web-based enquiries. Points scored by the mystery shopper will be added to each finalists score to determine the category winner.
- The decisions of the panel of judges are final
- Each judge is bound by a strict code of ethics and may not participate in any scoring or recognition decision where there may be, or could appear to be, any personal, professional, financial or other relationship or potential or perceived conflicts of interest
- Each judge has volunteered their time without compensation and is committed to assist with the success of the Newmarket Business Awards and to provide objective feedback to the entrant
- The winner, in each category, will be announced at the Awards dinner to be held on 22 June 2017 at the Langham.
- All awards entry documentation and official online entry forms are treated as confidential
- Applicants are not expected to provide or reveal proprietary information regarding products, processes or services
- Information regarding participation, any awards, or successful strategies may be released only after written approval from the applicant.
What are the key dates?
Entries need to be completed online by 28 April 4pm. NBA will notify Finalists the week commencing 22 May.
The Awards evening is held at the Langham, Thursday 22 June 2017.
What are the other reasons to enter?
- To be publically recognised as an outstanding business
- To showcase your services and products to the wider community
- To discover your business’ strengths and competitive advantages, as well as areas in need of improvement
- To build on your potential and capability
- To have your business assessed against best practice
- To receive invaluable feedback on your entry
- To receive local, regional and industry media coverage
- To celebrate with your staff and acknowledge their contributions to your organisation’s success
- To engender pride within your team
- To network at awards events with Newmarket business professionals.
Who do I contact for help?
If you have any questions concerning eligibility or conditions of entry please contact Kelly O’Shannessey on 021717140 or email Kelly@newmarket.co.nz